Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Machining

I started machining at the beginning of this week, I find it very challenging, I am not the strongest in math, or the most patient and you need both of those skills to be any good as a machinist. I made a a hammer as well as a key chain, I used the vertical milling machine with I believe it was called a facemill, to cut the metal for the chipping hammer down to size, then I used a drill press and drilled a small hole in the metal for the handle; after I went back to the vertical milling machine but this time using a 9/16 endmill as my cutting tool to further bore out the hole I had just made on the drill press. I spent all of today learning to use a computer program called mastercam x4 it was very challenging and frustrating, the coarse for the mastercam software is suppose to be 5 months but we have to cram learning it in 1 day.(that's what you get when you take a sampler course lol!) So basically you have to enter in all the parameters for the engraving machine to engrave the design you created correctly. It was very confusing and a long day, I hope in the end it will turn out okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment